F1 Rejects Temporary Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
F1 Rejects Temporary Forum

A backup forum for when the main one crashes. Not permanent

2 posters

2020 driver and team reviews

rachel1990

2020 driver and team reviews Empty 2020 driver and team reviews

Post by rachel1990 Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:18 pm

decided to start writing this since

Drivers

1-Lewis Hamiltion- Yes he is in the best car and this season has been a bit of a breeze. But he did win 11 races and thrashed his teammate so we can't say he doesn't deserve the title. but this was the easiest title win for any driver since 2002. Oh well. 8 in 2021 I suppose.

2-Sergio Perez- What a season from a driver that nobody wants. That just blows my mind. Sergio made the most of the Pink Mercedes and despite missing two races due to Covid, finished 4th in the standings. In the points every time he finished. Should have had more than 2 podiums but he still won the Sakhir Gp. Incredible season.

3-Pierre Gasly- What a way to repair your reputation. After an embarrassing time at red Bull, Pierre has cemented his place as one of the best up and coming drivers. Took a very popular win at Monza and was often in the points all year. Going back to Red bull is not a good option for Pierre (If Max is still there) but surely a better drive is coming for 2022. Alpine? Maybe Red Bull if Max goes to Mercedes in 2022? Or even Mercedes altogether if Hammy retires and Bottas is let go!

4-Daniel Ricciardo - I feel bad for Rating Daniel so low but I just could not rate him higher than the other three. Dan had a really good year and was brilliantly consistent all year. Strong points and 2 podiums sums up a good season for the Honey Badger.

5- Max Verstappen- To be honest I feel worse for putting Max only 5th. His Car was nowhere near the Mercedes but he was so far ahead of everyone else (when the car would stay alive). Yes, he made mistakes but beat the Mercedes twice on pace to win this year, sums up what a driver Max is.

6-Charles Leclerc Poor Charles. That Ferrari was a total dog. And yet he managed to get the maximum out of the car. Okay was helped by having the whole team focus around him instead of Seb but he did the job when it matters. Got two podiums out of the car and was more often than not in the points. God, I hope the 2021 Ferrari is better than the 2020 one.

7-George Russell Maybe a little high but that's where George often was in Quali. That Williams had improved in 2020 but not enough. George was often falling back through the midfield but was always there snapping for some points. Okay, he binned it at Imola but he was robbed at Mugello and should have got his first points there. But then at Sakhir, he was given the opportunity of a lifetime by driving that Mercedes and was robbed of Victory by the team and nobody else. George showed why he should have a much better seat in 2021 and not waste 1 more season at the back at Willams.

8-Carlos Sainz- To be honest I struggled to pick between the two Mclaren Drivers but I went with Sainz due to slightly better results. The Smooth Operator almost won at Monza and was often in the top 5 all year. Pity the partnership with Norris has now ended but those two seasons at Mclaren have been the making of Carlos, there is no doubt about it. Again let's hope the 2021 Ferrari is a good car.

9-Lando Norris- Its only Lando's second season of f1 but you wouldn't have known it. Maybe slightly slower than Sainz this year but still got on the podium due to a terrific final lap in Austria and was often in the higher points. Beat Sainz in quali battles this season too. Hopefully, next season can be stronger for Lando with Riccardo as a teammate.

10-Esteban Ocon- Ocon Started quietly but got better as the season went on. Got the Lion's share of bad luck at Renault that is not in question but did enough to show why he was highly rated at Mercedes. Needs a better 2021 though

11-Nico Hulkenburg- I know he only did 3 races but in two of those three races he scored points. And one of those was from the back of the field (okay helped by 3 top running drivers retiring but you still have to be there). And Qualified 3rd at the 70th Anniversary GP. Its amazing that drivers like Mazepin and Latifi can get seats and yet talent like Nico and Perez look like their F1 careers are over. (maybe not in Perez's case but the point still stands)

12-Lance Stroll- Unlike others, He didn't take the opportunities handed to him. He should have won in Monza. He should have won the Sakhir gp. Both times he blew it. Sounds harsh but the fact remains that he was in the 3rd best car this year. And while he was terrific in Turkey quali, the fact remains that he burnt through his tyres, which cost him another poduim. Probably cost the team 3rd. Harsh but true.

13-Daniil Kvyat- Its hard to judge this year for Daniil. On paper, he was the worst driver of class B. He was thrashed by his teammate. He knew perfectly well that his time with the team was going to end this season. And yet, I thought he did okay? Often either near the top 10 or just in it, Daniil did an okay job in what I expect will now be his final year in f1 (but I guess we will always have Imola)

14-Kimi Rakkionen- I feel bad for Kimi because the Alfa was total rubbish this year (Yes the engine was shocking, but there were other issues). Kimi did what he could with the car and two 9th place finishes was the best he was going to get out of the car.

15- Antonio Giovinazzi see above. Did enough to keep his seat but it was very hard to Judge. Had a silly off at Belgium (that took Russell out as well), But apart from that, kept out of trouble and was mega at the start.

16-Sebastian Vettel- Part of me feels awful for Putting Vettel so low because he went through a year with a team that clearly hated him (okay that's a bit strong). But Seb didn't look up for the fight like Leclerc did. He was outside the points on merit for 8 races this year. He made mistakes (more spinning around) and in the end looked more than happy to leave Ferrari for good. Next year will be the make or break for him.

17-Romain Grosjean- to be frank the fact that he is Alive is a good thing in itself. Romain kept possibly the worst car on the grid on the road most of the time. What Happened in Bahrain was shocking and was great to see the f1 community come together to wish him well. On balance he deserved to be dropped. if not for this season then certainly for the last two (I would like to mention this since the dust has settled. While the accident was shocking, Romain can't blame anyone but himself for the incident leading up to the crash as he did cut across Kvyat in a daft move that was always going to end badly. Not as bad as we all saw but still)

18-Kevin Magnussen- again see above. Did little of note and probably again for the last two seasons deserved to be dropped. another one with potential but showed little. Maybe an improvement on his dad though.

19-Nicholas Latifi- there because of his money and did very little of note. Reminds me of Max Chilton Finished most races but was so far behind that it didn't matter. Incredibly would have beaten Russell on countback.

20-Alex Albon- I know the team is geared towards Max. I get it. But the fact remains that he should be there getting the scraps if Either Mercedes or Max messes up this year. Another one who has wasted so many opportunities this year and should have achieved more than two podiums- Sakhir for example, he should/could have won. 10ths, 7ths, 15ths!! A time for reflection at least. Should he be dropped. Yes. will he? I just don't know.

21-Valtteri Bottas- May seem harsh on the driver that finished second in the championship but the fact remains that he was in a car that was the best by a mile and didn't seem bothered to launch a title bid. Seemed happy just to be in the second and hope something happens to Hamilton. Only won two races and only did that because Hammy had issues both races. and to add more misery would have been beaten by Russell if his team hadn't saved him by messing up so badly in Saker. Bottas has one more year at Mercedes and that is it. Yes, he had tons of bad luck but the fact remains that Hamilton would have won the constructors title on his own this year. Awful.

N/A- Jack Aitken- did okay in Sakhir even though his off led to all the Mercedes issues. But it would be very harsh to judge him given he was called up so late

N/A- Pietro Fittipaldi- did okay in the worst car on the grid but again you can't really judge him on two races which he was called up so late and hadn't raced in a single-seater all year.

Teams

1-Mercedes- well they did create the best car by a mile. 13 out of 17 wins says it all. Bonus points for putting Russell in the car. Minus points for then messing it up for Russell costing him a win.

2-Red Bull Not much they could do. Couldn't get close to Mercedes and too far ahead of everyone else. I know they focus around Max but Albon doesn't really inspire confidence does he?

3-Mclaren- 3rd place in the constructors. They will take that. Some good strategy calls and good driving led to an impressive year. Hopefully the Mclaren- Mercedes Paternership next year reaps rewards for them.

4-Alpha Tauri- Nearly beat Ferrari and got a race win too. a Very good year for the red Bull Juniors.

5-Renault- Didn't start well (public relations wise, see below) but badly improved. Better results towards the end of the year and a lot to look forward to in 2021 (hopefully)

6-Pink Mercedes- Sorry Racing Point- So copying A winning car gets you 4th in the constructors, a race win (from a driver that you dropped) a points deduction which cost you third and a whole heap of bad publicity. And thats the way they like it.

7- Alfa Romeo- The winners of class C- Not that's saying much. No-one expected much and they didn't really deliver. At least we have Kimi for one more year.

8- Willams- My expectations were so low that I couldn't put them lower than 8th. 0 points but the car looks a bit better. Imagine if Russell does get called up to Mercedes though for 2021. Aitken and Latifi don't exactly light up the hearts of f1 fans.

9-Haas- I don't know why they bothered to keep either driver at the end of last season because it made no difference. I suppose neither driver binned it much (barring Bahrain) Possibly the worst car on the track. Minus points for hiring Mazepin for 2021 though. Possibly the most unlikeable driver in f1 since the Pastor himself.

10Ferrari- i don't even know where to begin. It's still a bit Vague if they were cheating last year or not, but my god what did they do to the car this year. I know Engine performance was down but it was more than that. Pitstop errors (Especially for Seb), bad publicity, the last 3 races got them 1 point. Heads must roll for this (God knows why Seb bothered to do the whole season.

Reject of the Season
    1- Covid 19- For so many different reasons. I know we got some different races out of the pandemic but it has hit f1 harshly too.

2-Gp Rejects admin- No updates about the site since July. No words of warning, nothing. So gutting to see such an active community go down the drain like that.

3-Ferrari- Well they were total rubbish this year weren't they?

spaniard likes this post

spaniard

2020 driver and team reviews Empty Re: 2020 driver and team reviews

Post by spaniard Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:57 pm

1.- Hamilton: Yes, I don't like to see him turning the championship into a boring and predictable parade. And yes, he has the best car on the grid by far. But objectively, he had the best season among all the drivers, and I can't blame him for being competitive and doing his job almost flawlessly. So he deserves the number one spot on my list.

2.- Verstappen: It's kind of disappointing to see him so far away from Hamilton on the standings, but it was not his fault. He made the best of his car, finishing on the podium every time that he reached the finish line but one.

3.- Perez: It's ironic that having the best season of his career, he may end up without a job. Really solid season, I hope that he gets the seat that he deserves at Red Bull next year.

4.- Ricciardo: I must recognise that I was really surprised when I checked the standings today and saw him so high on them, I really overlooked his season! Yes, his level is a step below than it was at Red Bull, but two podiums and consistently scoring points is a good balance driving a pretty regular car.

5.- Sainz: As a fellow countryman, it has been a bittersweet season. On the one hand, one second place at Monza and finishing no lower than 7th during the last seven races is a solid season for him. However, with a little bit of less misfortune (bad McLaren pit strategy, issues with pit crew, SC at the wrong time, unlucky puncture...) he could have snatched a couple of extra podiums and fighting for the 4th position on the standings. Sadly, he seems to have inherited the bad luck of his father (for those who don't know, Carlos Sainz Sr. is a two-time WRC and Paris-Dakar champion, whose name is synonymous of bad luck, including losing a championship when his car broke down 500m away from the finish line). And I doubt that next year things will improve in Ferrari.

6.- Norris: Pretty similar season to his teammate's, although I think he lost some momentum during the last part of the season.

7.- Gasly: He completely turned around his career after last years awful Red Bull experience. One incredible victory at Monza and a decent amount of points having in mind that he is driving an Alpha Tauri.

8.- Leclerc: Somehow he managed to make competitive that crappy red car (also known as Ferrari) and got two podiums.

9.- Stroll: During the first half of the season, he took a step forward and proved that at least he has some talent to be a F1 driver. His second part of the season (except for his Bahrain podium) was a awful. Obviously, without daddy Stroll, he would be the one out of the team.

10.- Bottas: I was tempted to put it down the list. He made me mad every time he wasted his chances to challenge Hamilton's tyranny, screwed it when really mattered and was humiliated by a "rookie" teammate. But being fair, someone who got two victories, three poles and a second place on the championship can't be on the bottom half of the list.

11.- Ocon: Way below Ricciardo on a weekly basis, his podium at Bahrain was basically the only highlight of a dull and uneventful season. At least he will be a good garage partner for Alonso's ego next year.

12.- Albon: Obviously he really underperformed with the second best car on the grid, and he deserves to lose his seat for such a wasted opportunity, but I think that he was excessively criticise by the media and fans (including myself). A couple of podiums (and an extra one ruined by Hamilton in Austria) make impossible to put him below the rest of the drivers remaining.

13.- Kvyat: An example of F1 mediocrity, good enough to fight for the point leftovers, not good enough to do anything to remember. His career should have ended two years ago.

14.- Russell: It's difficult to know his real level. On Williams, he drove a crappy car, but missed the few chances he had to score points. On Mercedes, he suffered a set of unlucky events that prevented him from winning with an absolutely overpowered car. I think he has talent and he may be the future of the F1, but I also think that he has been a little bit overrated by those who already think of him as a Hamilton 2.0.

15.- Raikkonen: Frankly, I have no bloody idea why he keeps driving. His car sucks, and probably he has enough money to buy Finland. Maybe he doesn't give a crap and just wants to have an excuse to party in a different country every two weeks.

16.- Giovinazzi: He had some decent results with a bad car.

17.- Grosjean: I don't want to sound cruel with this (and I was really happy when I saw him safe and sound after the accident), but I think that his Bahrain crash made that people forgot an otherwise terrible season.

18.- Magnussen: He scored a point, I suppose...

19.- Vettel: A joke of a season. Terrible pace at qualifying, terrible pace at race. Yes, the car sucked, but Leclerc had three times his points. Jesus, he got just one point more than Kvyat!! His drama with Ferrari certainly didn't help him (nor the team), looking like a spoilt, unprofessional brat.

20.- Latifi: The worst of the worst. 7 times qualifying dead last. No points. Basically a paid driver.

NC: Hulkenberg, Fittipaldi, Aitken: I don't think it's fair to compare his season with the rest. Hulk had really good results during his few replacement chances, it's a shame he couldn't secure a seat for next year. Fittipaldi and Aitken at least managed to finish his races.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:41 pm